Friday, January 15, 2010

You don't always need a recipe


Sometimes to get comfortable with cooking you need to experiment. I find this is one of the best ways to learn to cook. Stir fry is an easy one to start with.

It was time for dinner, and once again I couldn't figure out what to make. I looked in the fridge and had lots of vegetables, so I decided on stir fry. I didn't have any meat and no peppers, so I had to make up my own version. I put the rice on to cook first, it would take the longest. Next I had to figure out what to do about no meat. You can substitute beans and legumes for meat in many recipes. I decided on lentils and got them in a pan, I figured add water to soften them, bullion for flavor, olive oil for good fat, and what stir fry doesn't have soy sauce, no measurements just guess. Then I started cutting up veggies. I used onion, celery, carrots, cabbage, and asparagus, which is what I had on hand. Tossed those in about 15 minutes later and cooked for another 5 minutes. I like sauce to drip down a bit on my rice so I added more water until there was enough liquid for my taste and sprinkled a few tablespoons of flour over the top to thicken the sauce. Cooked a few more minutes till it was thick, tasted it, and it was ready to go. Serve on top of rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment