Sunday, January 10, 2010

Nacho Cheese, Mac and cheese, and Almond milk

What kid doesn't like mac and cheese? Well this week my little girl wanted some, but I was out of boxes. I always have noodles on hand in my food storage, and cheese in the fridge. I store them in a big 5 gallon bucket. I have a mix of half white and half whole wheat. This way when I run out I can make it from scratch, which I think tastes better and is healthier.

My kids love nacho cheese with chips, but the stuff you get in a can isn't the healthiest. Here is a recipe that makes it a good snack or a dinner if you added a can of beans.

Almond milk is a great substitute for milk, especially for those with dairy allergies. It is lower calories than dairy milk, and I prefer the taste. Children may be allergic to this, consult your doctor for children under the age of 4.

White sauce

1T butter
1T flour (I use whole wheat, but any type works)
1C milk

In a pan melt the butter over medium to high heat, and add flour. Cook for a minute or two until bubbly. Slowly add milk and stir constantly till comes to a boil and thickens. This sauce is good for many recipes and a great base for any creamy sauces like Alfredo. If your watching your waistline use skim milk.

Mac and Cheese

1C. noodles
shredded cheese (amount depends on how cheesy you want it, I use cheddar)
white sauce

In a pan bring 3-5 cups water to a boil add noodles and cook until desired tenderness. I cook mine about 8 minutes, set a timer so they don't get mushy. Pour into strainer and drain water out. Pour back in pan and over low to medium heat add white sauce and cheese. Stir until cheese melts, add salt and pepper to taste. If your watching your waistline use low fat cheese and whole wheat noodles.

Nacho Cheese

white sauce
shredded cheese (amount depends on how cheesy you want it, I use cheddar, monterrey jack or pepper jack would be yummy also)
1-2T taco seasoning

In a pan over medium heat stir white sauce and cheese together. Add taco seasoning to taste. Serve with chips and salsa.

Almond Milk

1C almonds
water
agave
salt

Rinse almonds well. In a bowl cover almonds with water and soak for 4-12 hours. Drain and rinse almonds. In a blender combine almonds and 4-5 cups of water. Blend well for a few minutes. Pour into strainer lined with cheesecloth and strain. You can then strain it through muslin cloth. Add about 1-3 teaspoons agave and a dash of salt to taste. Store in refrigerator for up to a week, shake or stir before serving.

If you try some let me know how your family likes them.

No comments:

Post a Comment