Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Corn Chowder: Chose Your Own Adventure

I made Corn Chowder...Or I should say I experimented with Corn Chowder.

I didn't think it turned out well because it boiled over while I was tending to a screaming baby, but my husband said it was a success, so I guess I'll post it.

Serves 2-3 People, so use your math skills for your family
1 large potato or 2 small potatoes
1c. milk

1 T. flour (I used wheat)
1 c. water

1 1/2 - 2 c. corn
1 t. better than bouillon (or cube bouillon or 1 t. salt+spices)

1 t. olive oil


Add Ins:
1/4 c. onion
1/4 c. celery
1/4 c. diced potato

1. Wash, peal, and dice/slice the potato (it will boil quicker). If you want onions, celery, and extra potato in your chowder, chop those vegetables too.
2. Boil ONLY the potato until tender, about 10-12 minutes.
2. While waiting for your potato slices, whip 1 c. water, 1/2 to about 1 c. of the corn (depends on how corny tasting you want it), and bouillon in a blender.
3. Chose your adventure: For a creamier chowder, strain the corn mixture into a large pot and toss the corn skins. For more texture, don't strain, just put the corn mixture in a pot.
3. Chose your adventure: If you want onion, celery, and extra potato, add it now to the corn mixture. Also add the 1 t. of oil. Bring the corn mixture to a boil.
4. While the corn mixture and vegetables are cooking, strain the potatoes. Whip the potatoes,
1 c. milk, and 1 T. flour in a blender.
5. Add the potato mixture to the boiling corn mixture, then reduce heat to simmer about 5-7 minutes. Also add the rest of the corn.

No comments:

Post a Comment