Thursday, January 14, 2010

Blanket babies


I have to admit that I was a blanket baby. OK it went way beyond baby, I still have it in my closet. So I guess it is fitting that all of my kids have become attached to their blankets. The sad thing is that my two oldest's blankets really are no longer blankets. They are more batting with shreds of fabric hanging from them. So why do they still have them? I blame my parents for that one, they made me get rid of my blanket when I was little(see pic below). It didn't work though I just got attached to another, the one in my closet first belonged to my brother.


It looks like I am smiling and having fun, but I doubt that was the case. Thankfully I don't remember this horrible event, however this documentation is why my kids still have their blankets.

Anyway the point of this post is that I have found a great fabric that holds up well through the years. You know that really soft fleece that is fuzzy. It comes in prints or solids, and the easy part is you only need to cut it out and finish the edges. I just surged mine, but if you don't have a serger just zig the edge. So how do I know they last so long? I used this fabric for my little girl. Her blanket is over 4 years old now and is still in one piece.

Now the other part of this post. The fabric comes 60 inches wide. I bought two yards and made two blankets that were 36 inches square. With the left over fabric I made smaller squares so baby can take them in the car or tote them around the house, when it comes to bedtime it is always where it should be. I made two blankets so that one can be washing while the other is in use, and they last longer. You may not need two blankets, but if you end up with a blanket baby like mine, you will be glad in a few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment